In today’s date, when people are busy achieving more in life – money, success and what not – it’s necessary that we pause for a while, take a breath and make a move to do something good for others.
Earlier this year, I took a volunteering trip to Kenya, serving at a children’s home where abandoned and underprivileged kids are sheltered and realized the joy of being surrounded by a bunch of toddlers who were clinging to me as if they know me since forever! Being there in Kenya for a month completely changed my way of looking at the world and how our little actions can create bigger impacts.
It was during that phase when I realized how important it is to look beyond our comfort zone and awaken our inner compassion, to share a hand with those who really need it. Here are 10 inspirational quotes that motivated me to volunteer abroad and make a difference.
- “The purpose of life is not to be happy, but to matter– to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all.” – Leo Rosten.
- “The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” ― Barack Obama.
- “Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more.” ― H. Jackson Brown Jr.
- “If you seek immortality, then give. For giving frees humanity from the bondage of time. When all is gone, what’s left is what you gave.” ― Val Uchendu.
- “If you become a helper of hearts, springs of wisdom will flow from your heart.” – Rumi.
- “The broadest, and maybe the most meaningful definition of volunteering: Doing more than you have to because you want to, in a cause you consider good. ” – Ivan Scheier.
- “How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.” – Anne Frank.
- “At the end of the day, it’s not about what you have or even what you’ve accomplished… it’s about who you’ve lifted up, who you’ve made better. It’s about what you’ve given back.” – Denzel Washington.
- “You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.” – Kahlil Gibran.
- “Even if it’s a little thing, do something for those who have need of a man’s help – something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it. For, remember, you don’t live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here, too.” – Albert Schweitzer.
If this motivates you as well, then step ahead, take up a cause that motivates you and volunteer. No matter whether it’s about educating others or spreading awareness about Global Climate Change, or maybe doing something for the environment in general – every little thing you do can make a huge difference!