If you don’t already know, kratom is a tree native to the marshy regions of Southeast Asia. The real power of this plant comes from the leaves which were traditionally used in folk medicine for a variety of health issues such as managing aches and pains, de-addiction, energy-boosting, relieving anxiety and stress, and also for its mild sedating properties.
All of these effects come from the unique alkaloids present in the leaves, namely: mitragynine and 7-hydroxy mitragynine.
In the countries where it grows naturally such as Thailand, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, Mayanmar, etc; people would chew the leaves raw. In fact, it’s estimated that around 70% of the male population of countries like Thailand chew anywhere between 10-60 leaves every day. In the Western world, kratom is available mostly in the power of powder, extract, gum, capsule, raisins, etc.
If you are a beginner who would like to check out a host of kratom products, you can visit Kratom Crazy. You can either consume it as a powder or use the powder for brewing tea, the recipes of which are readily available on the internet.
What Are the Benefits of Kratom Leaves?
Depending on what kind of kratom strain (it comes in a variety such as red, green, and white-veined kratom) you can expect to reap a spectrum of physical and mental health benefits such as:-
- May act as a metabolic booster – Did you know that kratom comes from the family of coffee plants? That’s right! And, that should probably explain the improvement in metabolism after kratom consumption, much like with coffee. To that end, you may find yourself better able to handle physical activities, strenuous tasks, and work more easily during long hard days. This is why some people like to consume kratom right before a workout or hitting the gym, so it’s easier to sweat it out.
- May help elevate the mood – Depending on the right type of kratom strain, you may experience a sudden positive outlook on life. This happens because kratom is supposed to boost mental health (check out this scientific mention stipulating the same). Those struggling with depression, anxiety, insomnia, mood swings, etc. may find a sudden relief after consuming kratom. The relief may only be temporary, though.
- May exhibit energizing effects – Again, the fact that kratom belongs to the coffee family should explain why certain types of kratom leaves would have this effect. Many people experience a sudden mental clarity, better focus, alertness, and an increased sense of motivation after consuming kratom. It may help you get a lot of the everyday mundane tasks to perform more easily that otherwise usually take a lot from you. The natives of Thailand and Malaysia would chew kratom leaves as it readied them to toil under harsh sunlight out in the field. Therefore, you can also expect to see similar energizing and rejuvenating effects of kratom, much like coffee.
- Pain-relieving abilities – While there is no scientific evidence to back kratom’s pain management abilities, this continues to remain the #1 reason as to why the majority uses kratom in any form. Many people who have battled with chronic pains and aches have found a new life after consuming kratom. Check out kratom reviews left by the general public in this regard on WebMD.
- May improve focus – If you find it hard to focus and often sudden with mental fog or cloudiness, then that’s another scenario in which you may stand to experience some benefit after consuming kratom. A sense of mental clarity and better focus may be much needed for activities like studying, analyzing, etc. While there is no evidence to support this claim, but if you can pick the right kratom type and dose, you may notice some improvements in your focus levels.
- May strengthen immune – It’s definitely hard to establish kratom as an immune booster. Still, much of the online mentions, research, anecdotal evidence, and logic dictates that kratom should help strengthen your immunity. One can attribute this to the unique alkaloids present in kratom leaves, which should improve your body’s resilience against a host of diseases. In traditional folk medicine, people would use kratom as it fought against free radicals and microbial activities. It’s also a rich source of antioxidants.
A WORD OF CAUTION
It’s important to mention that kratom comes in a variety of strains and types. Each strain has a unique set of properties to offer. While some would calm you down, others can make you feel energetic, alert, focused, and motivated. Some strains can also cause mild drowsiness. Therefore, it’s crucial to perform much-needed research before committing to a single product.
First of all, you need to establish what kind of benefits you are seeking. Accordingly, look for the right product.
Also, since kratom is not overseen by any regulatory authorities like the FDA, most products do not come with dosage instructions. Therefore, always start slow to observe how your body responds to the dose. Then, slowly up the quantity to find a dosage that hits the sweet spot for you. Exercising caution is essential to avoid any unpleasant effects.