Today is National Unity Day (Rashtriya Ekta Diwas). Every year it is celebrated on October 31 to commemorate the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the Ironman of India. While his 182m high statue has made entry into the list of word’s tallest statues, there is a reason why it was made in the first place.
It is not just a statue but reflects the national, spiritual and historical importance of a nation. At some point in our lives, we have read or heard that it is in India that we have “Unity in diversity”. Sardar Patel’s whole life and works were based on this same belief. It was he who created a unified India.
Interesting Facts About Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- Sardar Patel was born at Nadiad, present-day Gujarat on 31 October 1875. He was born to Zaverbhai Patel (father) and Ladbai (mother). He was one of the important social and political figures of India.
- He was the first deputy prime minister and Home Minister of free India. At the age of 22, he completed his matriculation.
- At the age of 36, he went to England to fulfill his dream and joined Middle Temple Inn, where completed his 36-month course in just 30 months.
- After coming to India, he became one of the successful barristers of Ahmedabad.
- A Bharat Ratna Awardee, he was inspired by Mahatma Gandhi’s struggle of independence. He was elected as the municipal president of Ahmedabad in 1922, 1924 and 1927.
- In 1923, when Mahatma Gandhi was in prison, it was he who led the Satyagraha Movement in Nagpur against British law, which banned the raising of the Indian flag.
- In 1931, he was elected the President of the Indian National Congress.
- He organized relief camps for refugees in Punjab and Delhi. Not only that, he was the reason behind the consolidation of 565 semi-autonomous princely states to form a united India. Not only, he was inspired by Gandhi, but he was attached to him as well.
- After 2 months after Gandhi’s death, his condition also started declining and he suffered a major heart attack. He passed away on 15 December 1950. Even though he is not amid us, but what he did will inspire everyone for generations to come. He was truly the “Iron Man Of India”.
Inspirational Quotes By Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel That You Need To Know-
“Little pools of water tend to become stagnant and useless, but that if they are joined together to form a big lake, the atmosphere is cooled and there is a universal benefit.”
“The negligence of a few could easily send a ship to the bottom, but if it has the wholehearted co-operation of all on board it can be safely brought to the part.”
“My only desire is that India should be a good producer and no one should be hungry, shedding tears for food in the country.”
“There is something unique in this soil, which despite many obstacles has always remained the abode of great souls.”
“Every Indian should now forget that he is a Rajput, a Sikh or a Jat. He must remember that he is an Indian and he has every right in his country but with certain duties.”
“Manpower without unity is not a strength unless it is harmonized and united properly, then it becomes a spiritual power.”
“Faith is of no evil in the absence of strength. Faith and strength, both are essential to accomplish any great work.”
“Take to the path of dharma – the path of truth and justice. Don’t misuse your valor. Remain united. March forward in all humility, but fully awake to the situation you face, demanding your rights and firmness.”
“A war based on Satyagraha is always of two kinds. One is the war we wage against injustice, and the other we fight our won weaknesses.”
“We have to shed mutual bickering, shed the difference of being high or low, develop a sense of equality and banish untouchability. We have to restore the conditions of Swaraj prevalent prior to British rule. We have to live like children of the same father.”