In India, there is no dearth of strict parents. Our parents tend to think that they’re always right and that we should do as they ask, no matter what. There are no mature discussions between parents and children in the Indian household, there’s just giving of orders. Our parents always expect the most out of us and expect us to be the perfect emulation of ‘sanskar’. And god forbid, if we stray even slightly from the path they’ve chosen for us, there is always a hell to pay. If you understand what I’m talking about, you’ll definitely relate to the list below.
If you understand what I’m talking about, you’ll definitely relate to the list below.
1. You had to be home before anyone else always.
Your friends will literally just be getting warm to hang out for a while and just then your mom would call you, telling you that you need to be home ASAP and you would have to run back, missing all the fun in the process.
2. You had to start preparing your parents days in advance when you wanted to ask them for permission for something.
You started adhering to all the house rules and came home way before curfew if you had something major to ask from your parents. And you obviously had to take permission from your parents for literally everything.
3. You were obviously never allowed to go out for sleepovers.
Your friends would tell you to ask your parents yet again or give it another shot but you knew there was no point because your parents would never budge and allow you to stay out of the house all night!
4. You mastered the art of predicting your parent’s mood because that’s the only time you can ask them for things.
You knew exactly when your parents were in a good enough mood to ask them for something. You had to strike at the right time or you would lose the opportunity once they said no because you knew once they said no, there was no changing their mind.
5. You were never allowed for any last minute plans.
You had to prepare your parents when you wanted to go out, you couldn’t just up and walk to them last minute and tell them you were leaving, there was no way in hell they would allow you to do that!
6. You were too scared to lie to your parents because they would always figure out what you’re really up to.
Your parents had all your friend’s numbers and they would instantly know if you were lying because they would find out one way or the other. It’s not that they would actually check-up on you but just that your luck was that bad!
7. You couldn’t just casually talk to your parents about anything like other children, your parents were pretty uptight about stuff.
You couldn’t have a casual conversation about stuff with your parents or tell them about the happening of your life because you knew they would always misconstrue the information one way or the other.
8. Your parents obviously never knew about relationships if you had any and you still refuse to tell them.
You weren’t allowed to date. That’s it! In fact, dating is really far-fetched, if you even had friends of the opposite sex, you would have to save their names on your phone as someone of the same sex as you.
9. You would immediately change the channel if there was even a kissing scene on T.V.
Indian households are quite conservative and we don’t have the “talk’ with our parents. We just awkwardly pretend like things like sex and kissing don’t exist until it’s time to get married.
10. You know if there’s a missed call on your phone from your mom, you’re completely screwed!
You could never keep your phone on silent because if you ever missed a call from your mother, all hell would break lose. Your mom would spiral into a realm of instant paranoia and would have worked up quite a rage by the time you got home.
Did I miss out on any other situations? What else did you go through 🙂 ?